Especially for ladies waxing underarms is not the same as waxing legs or your arms. Underarms are super sensitive parts of the body and even the bravest of us will cringe at the thought of waxing our underarms. But you can make the process much less painful by following these instructions for DIY (Do It Yourself) underarm waxing.
Waxing Or Shaving? (Big Question)
If you’re used to shaving your underarms and don’t see why you should convert to waxing them, well let me just tell you that the feeling of a shaved underarm and waxed underarm are completely different. When you shave your underarms you also run the risk of roughening up your skin and armpit hair. Ever noticed how your hair grows back rough and thick after you shave it?
Underarm waxing in contrast will make your armpit super smooth and discourage hair growth over a period of time. What about using a hair removing cream you ask? You can, but make sure the cream does not irritate your skin. There is also a very high chance that shaving and using hair removal creams will darken the area, making your underarms look dark and discolored.
So are you convinced that underarm waxing is the way to go? Then read on to know more on how to make the experience less painful.
Here’s How To Wax Your Underarms at Home
Before you start the process, check to see if the hair under your arm is long enough to be caught on and pulled out by the wax. If your hair is too short, the wax will not do a clean job. Also, if your hair is too long you might want to trim it a little to make waxing easier and less painful.
Make Your Own Wax at Home
Please note that you need to use proper hot wax for this and not wax strips. If you do not have wax, you can make your own by heating two cups of sugar with ¼ cup of water and lemon juice. Let this heat till it becomes sticky. Allow the wax to cool a little and take some in a microwavable bowl. That way you can reheat your wax if it becomes too cold.
- Wipe your under-arm with a clean cloth and dab some talcum powder on the area.
- Keep some baby wipes or makeup wipes handy to wipe out any excess wax/spillage.
- Check the temperature of the wax to make sure that it’s neither too hot nor too cold.
- Stretch your arms over your head to make the skin taut.
- Apply the wax using a spatula or butter knife in the direction of the hair growth.
- Apply the wax strip onto the wax and press down.
- Pull it quickly in the opposite direction to the hair growth.
- Check to see if there are any stray hairs left and repeat the process to get rid of them.
- Apply coconut or baby oil in the area to soothe the skin and remove any excess wax.
Refrain from using any deodorants or body spray on your underarms for at least forty-eight hours after waxing. The harsh products might irritate and cause the skin to break out in angry bumps. If you are prone to bumps and boils after waxing, try taking a cold shower immediately after waxing and then soothe the aggravated area with aloe-vera gel or calamine lotion.
Some Handy Underarm Waxing Tips:
If you find that waxing is still too painful, you may want to consider taking some painkillers to tackle the problem. Take the painkiller an hour or so before waxing, allowing ample time for the effects to kick in. Follow these after waxing underarm care to have a smooth and pain free underarm waxing session.
Some Benefits Of Underarm Waxing
Now that you know how to do underarm waxing, below are some of the underarm waxing benefits. These benefits will answer your question – is underarm waxing safe.
- You don’t have to go for underarm waxing every week since the regrowth time varies from two to eight weeks. But when you opt for shaving your underarm, you will see the regrowth within a few days itself.
- When you shave your underarms, there will be shadowy patches because you won’t be able to get a close shave. But one of the underarm waxing benefits is that you will not have this problem.
- While shaving, you can often end up with razor marks and burns. But if you go for underarm waxing, you will not have any such problems.Hope now you know on how to wax your underarms at home.